3.09.2006

bad review revue

Matthew Baldwin, the genius behind Defective Yeti, takes a look back at past Oscar winners--and the critics who hated them--in this article at the Morning News. It's like a take on his Bad Review Revue, a semi-regular feature at Yeti.

Readers know that I'm always gratified when the wreck that was Titanic is panned, and in this case I have Barbara Shulgasser from the San Francisco Chronicle to thank: Although the film won the 1998 Oscar for best costumes, Shulgasser writes, “No amount of excellent period costuming and brilliant set decoration can substitute for a good story and decent acting." Too true.

But my favorite bad review OF ALL TIME was posted on Yeti long ago and written by someone I regrettably can't remember for the 1999 Brendan Fraser flop, Blast From the Past: "A blast from my ass would be more entertaining." Damn, I wish I wrote that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that you could fill a blog with Brendan Fraser bad reviews. Remember Monkeybone? I was really excited for that movie to come out just so I could see how badly it would be panned.

Burton said...

Wasn't that Anthony Lane in The New Yorker?