5.11.2006

lost and found

Susan was trying to pretend she wasn't, but she was shaken. In the Park Street T station a few minutes before, someone had snatched her wallet. She realized what was happening in time and even saw the perp running away. "HE STOLE MY WALLET!" she screamed. "STOP HIM!" Improbably, four strangers did. Three men and a woman grabbed the punk and pinned him to the ground. They retrieved Susan's wallet, then debated what to do with the offender. Turn him in? Let him go? Wait for the police, who may or may never show? Since no one had been hurt, they collectively decided against pressing their luck and let the guy go. Susan, amazed both by her luck and lack thereof, tried to thank the wallet-retrievers. "We have to help each other," one said, walking away.

Too late, Susan wished she had asked the punk if he needed money, then offered up whatever cash she had in her wallet. We do have to help each other, she said.

5 comments:

Gary McGath said...

Good to hear that some people cared enough to grab the crook.

Too bad they let him go to steal again.

Suldog said...

Let him go?!? Great that they had the courage to stop him and retrieve the wallet, but let him go? The next person he hits may not be so lucky.

Frank said...

I am the punk. I'm thankful that those pansies let me go. My next victim was an old hag who tried to yell...but this time I was ready for it, and I punched her in the face before she could open her little privileged mouth.

jennymcflint said...

Hindsight is pretty flawless, isn't it? But when you're in a situation like that, you never know how someone might react: The crook could have pulled out a knife or pushed someone on the tracks, for example. From what I gathered, our good samaritans felt they had done what they could, while the police were nowhere to be found. I think they were courageous and the kind of neighbors I'd want. As opposed to Frank here.

Frank said...

What do you want from me? I'm just a punk with 20/20 hindsight and 20/100 foresight ;)